Friday, September 14, 2007

Color Meme and Knitty Review

First, yay, I finished the Disco Colori socks. You can see their lovely matching heels and the large amount of leftover yarn in this picture. I think I will make my sister wrist warmers out of the leftover, even if they aren't often worn by the over-60 set (much older sister, hee hee). The sparkling silver will make them sort of jewelry-like.




Color Meme



This color meme came from a blog by Kristi. I think it's interesting, so here are my answers.

1. What is your current favorite color? Violet

2. Had your favorite color changed over the years? No, it's been purple most of my life.

3. Is your current favorite color one that is currently trendy? (Do you see it in the fashion rags or on the clothes rack or in the linen aisle right now? How about 5 years ago?) I just bought a shirt in my exact favorite shade, which is a good sign. I see lots of purple linens, so I think it's still in fashion. The apricot and mint scheme I loved in the 80s for home decor is gone, though.

4. What is your favorite color combination? Black and red (wear) or purple and green (look at)

5. Is that combination a popular one? (Is it use in prints you see in the stores and catalogs and magazines now? How about 5 years ago?) There tends to always be black and red stuff to wear, and for the last few years there has been a lot of purple and green home decor stuff. We just got a lot of new items for the guest room in that combo, and painted the walls subtle versions of them.

6. What is your favorite way of using color in your knitting? (Are you a stranded knitter? Do you prefer simple stripes? Do you prefer just accents at the hems/collars?) I like to knit things that subtly change color, or are all mottled. I like stripes, but other than on socks they aren't my best look. I like slip stitch patterns and stranded items a lot. The combo of black with a variegated yarn always looks neat to me.

7. What colors look good on you? In my "normal" hair I look good in deep versions of colors like red, black, dark purple, and blue. Things with more of a bluish tinge. With my colored hair, I can wear a lot more stuff with more orange.

8. What colors look bad on you? Tan that is close to my skin color, pure white, greenish yellow, mauve (muddy colors), lilac (which is too bad because I like the color).

9. Do you wear colors that don’t look good on you just because you like them? For a long time I kept buying lilac yarn and knitting with it, only to see that it didn't look good on me. Same with tan. I did stop doing that. Sometimes I wear a color that doesn't look good on me, though. It's not the end of the world. I am not a supermodel.

10. What is your favorite neutral color? black

11. Is there a sweater pattern that uses more than one color that you’d like to make, but you wish to change the colors from what is published? If yes, which one? Whoa, I rarely make anything in the color it is published in. Lots of sweaters show up in colors no one should wear!! The fact that I am knitting my current top in the color in the picture shocks me--but it's the colorway that looked best on me! I am pretty confident in my ability to pick a good color for a garment. And my LYS friends will let me know if I stray.

Knitty Review

Time for another Knitty review! Overall it's a dandy issue, though whoever coded the apostrophes might want to check out their HTML. I may add to this as I get time, but here are my first reactions to the patterns in the Fall 2007 Knitty, listed in order of what I'd most like to knit:



  1. Mr. Greenjeans: this is already printed out and I am hoping the LYS has the yarn the designer used. If not, I already have ideas for options. This has everything I like. One piece construction, cables, raglans, wearability at work. Woo.
  2. Diamond Waffle: OMG, what a cool sock!!! It has all sorts of interesting construction details--the gusset, the toe, the main pattern! I just flew over to Knitivity and ordered Ray's new Redwood colorway to make it in. Maybe for a dude. Maybe for me.

  3. Back to Basics: I like the interesting techniques in this one as well, especially the way the ribbing starts, and bet it will show up on my needles at some point.

  4. Muir: Well, I like Muir Woods, and I like lace. It's a bit "holey" but looks like it would be fun. It's on my long list of lace things to make, fer sure.

  5. Totally Autumn: on this one I liked the photo with the feet sticking out, and loved the pattern, though I think the yarn colorway detracted a bit (yarn looks great to touch, though). That said, I'd probably pick a yarn like that, too, 'cause that's what I like to buy. But, well, I am trying to be mature and realize that not all variegated yarns go with all laces. (I am sure many folks think my pink/gray/white lace shawl was a bit much, so I am not claiming I am such a great lace yarn picker.


OK, there are a couple of patterns I probably would not ever make but I have comments on:




  1. Flower Power: the model is the cutest baby! Click the link just to see that precious face!

  2. Q: that is a really interesting sock done in a very interesting technique. But it's too busy, complicated or something for me. I will enjoy seeing other people wear it, though!

  3. Cinderella: again, a great idea that will make all those people who don't like circular knitting but want to make socks very happy. But, I don't really like the way it looks, and I am not sure why. Perhaps the yarn is too thick?
I sure am glad that Amy Singer came up with this online magazine and has kept it going. Much sympathy to her with the gall bladder issue. Been there, hated that. And thanks to all who submit patterns. It's so fun to see what folks out there are up to!


And last, here is a sneak peak of my next sock! Seacoast Panda wool/bamboo sock yarn in Silver Leaf. Walking Away Socks, by Joanne Clark, Reflections version. It's a Fiber Trends pattern, so you can get it wherever those are sold.


2 comments:

  1. Oooo, pretty new sock yarn. Now those are my colors! :)
    I've been wanting to try the seacoast panda but there is so much great sock yarn that I keep getting distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, what beautiful colours.... seacoast panda is lovely to knit with (my sp10 gave it to me). It's almost like silk!

    ReplyDelete

Suna says thanks for commenting--I love comments!