Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Project You Can Help Me With

Some of you know that I recently got "engaged" to my wonderful partner, Lee. We are already committed to each other in our hearts, and that is what really counts, but all sorts of little things that are driving me nuts helped me decide to go against my "anti patriarchy" urges and commit to each other in the eyes of the law as well. Romantic, yes.

At some point we will have a ceremony as an excellent excuse to dress nicely and have a party. There is no date set, but since we are back in the ranks of the two income families, we can plan, at least. And I want to plan to make myself something nice to wear.

I have a vision of me in a dark red silk dress with something lacy and knitted over it, like the item in the photo only white (what IS that pattern??). I am thinking a lace cardigan (perhaps with short sleeves) or a shrug, or maybe a shawl if the dress has sleeves (I will not bare my arms in public!). So, I am soliciting pattern suggestions. Requirements: lightweight, light in color, knitted (though, sigh, I have seen some nice crocheted stuff in Lacis), lace, natural fiber.

Obviously, I need to look in all my books, too, but am afraid I have mostly shawl and scarf patterns. Ugh, I foresee spending a lot of time going through old Vogue, Interweave, Knitters' and such, too.

Suggested Patterns

(These are gleaned from my research, comments to this post, email suggestions and Ravelry suggestions. THANK YOU to all.)




If you have a favorite dainty wedding-like shoulder-covering item, or run across anything as you are looking through the web or your own pattern stash, reading email, or looking through Ravelry, feel free to drop me a comment and let me know what you saw. I will continue to search and evaluate over the next month or two, so don't feel compelled to speak now or forever hold your peace, tee hee!

15 comments:

  1. I have always want to knit this.
    http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTido.html
    Congratulations on your engagement too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT suggestion, Elaine. That is one of the ones I couldn't remember where it was published. It's on the list now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I looked over those links, I couldn't help but think about how chosen dress could really affect which is the perfect knit. As hard as it is to resist planning a new, loved knitting project!!!... I'd wait until I had a dress in mind first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Starlight Cashmere jacket at Wild Fibers looks very similar to your photo.
    http://www.wildfibersmagazine.com/page.php?54

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the Dragon Skin Wrap from IK Holiday would be fabulous. The vee neck effect is flattering, unlike the cardigans that only close at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to suggest the pattern that Elaine did.. but she beat me to it. It's a great pattern. It's absolutely beautiful.
    I'm making one for my friend. I want to make another for my little sister's wedding.
    Hill Country Weavers has a great color selection for the cotton (which is what the pattern calls for).

    Anyway. Yeah. So I second Elaine's suggestion. :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone--these are all great options!

    Telmah, you have a good point. I think I was going to pick a cardigan, shrug or wrap and then get a dress that looked good with it. Whatever the dress is, I want it very simple, so that the knitted item has all the complexity in it. Hope that makes sense.

    Keep the ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Elaine, and I was going to post that pattern, as well. *Love it* and may end up making it for my own wedding, but I think I'd rather knit a shawl (Icarus is almost done - should be finished this weekend!).

    So I was thinking about knitting a shawl, specifically a circular one but that isn't required, and since you know shawls better that I - what's one (or several) that are relatively quick without being boring?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Suna... congrats... so funny my mart and I have talked about the same. We do have a date and we hope it is possible: 20082008 :-) You are the first to know as it happens...:-)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tina: I'm thinking. I will get back to you. Many possibilities.

    Yvonne: Oh congratulations! That is the best idea for a wedding day. Hmm, should we steal that???

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this one, too:

    http://www.fibertrends.com/viewer/naturally_patterns/n1077.htm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does that mean you've found a source for Diamond's are a Girl's Best Friend???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stop the presses!!!

    http://www.fabrictales.com/STORE/store.cgi?cart_id=6823513.29295.s0&lastmenu=submenu-2000.html&product=kiwed

    Nothing more needs to be said.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always wanted to make Convertible from Knitty.

    http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/PATTconvertible.html

    My friend is the designer for that and I thought it is so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have you seen "stardust" in the new knitty? http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTstardust.html

    ReplyDelete

Suna says thanks for commenting--I love comments!